Saturday, August 25, 2007

shoshe - first day of class

Yesterday I went to four classes and a lab; today I went to two more classes. I'll only end up taking three subjects, but I'm not sure which yet (hopefully I'll be able to ditch both quantum classes). Mineralogy lab was fun.

In free-food-and-drink news:
1) The local SUPRA-equivalent held an Ice Cream Social last night. The mango sorbet was particularly good, but I don't recommend 2 bowls of ice cream as dinner.
2) The department had a party this afternoon to celebrate the 4th "birthday" of the Spitzer space telescope. Free cake and Bellinis. We also had free cake and pizza on Wednesday for a welcome-to-the-department lunch -- and half the cake was chocolate and half was vanilla. Genious!
3) The grad student union-ish building had its weekly cheap beer and free softdrink and snacks this evening. Beer was $1/cup for domestic and $2 for imported (with a total of 3 beers to choose from). I pointed to the darkest beer and asked what it was; the answer was "a dollar". After tasting it, I agreed that it was one-dollar beer. Not tasty, but hey. $1 beer!

No comments: